Monday, September 28, 2009

Clearly Unconditional Love



Was listening to an interview with Tony Robbins and John Grey this afternoon when John said something which CONFIRMED a suspicion I've had for years now. he said, "True love does not require a "sorry"."

It made me think about why i feel uncomfortable when my friends thank me for listening to them vent or giving them a ride to the airport. I HONESTLY do not need the "thank you"... and i feel it is TOTALLY unnecessary. And I always wondered why. Same with saying "I'm sorry". Never needed it. Always reminded me of when we were kids and one kid would do something shitty and our parents would say now "Say you're sorry." and Magically that made everything all better? But did it?

In my relationships, we KNOW we appreciate each other by the way we interact. We KNOW when one another feels bad about something they weren't able to do, had to cancel, or back out on at the last minute and we don't need to hear the "sorry" in order to be forgiven or to retain our position in this friendship... In the Unconditional Love Game there's nothing one needs to do, no requirements to keep or earn that love. Requirements, rules, regulations, are ALL a part of the Conditional Love Game, which I no longer participate in.

Now let me clarify, if saying sorry makes YOU feel better then by all means, say it.. but I don't need you to. I already know... and I COMPLETELY LOVE YOU ANYWAY.

Our society has conditioned us to make sure we abide by these common courtesy phrases/rules and regulations as a way to make others feel better but they become unnecessary in the Unconditional Love Game because... I ALREADY KNOW AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR DO NOT DO, SAY OR DO NOT SAY, I WILL LOVE YOU ANYWAY..

*Now.. I'm not talking about abusive relationships where there are no boundaries. I'm talking about mutually unconditional loving relationships, platonic and intimate.

I WILL LOVE YOU... ANYWAY. It's just how I roll.

jenifu

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to start calling you Dr. Jenifu! You go Girl!
Taree

choclattgirl said...

Beautifully stated Jen. I've always felt so weak when saying "sorry" and I say "thank you" way too much. You've just given me a reason to stop feeling that way. Keep teaching girl...