Sunday, August 5, 2007

Tips For De-Clutterization

If you don't LOVE it or if you haven't used it in 6 months...GET RID OF IT!!
Besides feeling really good because you've created more space and can now SEE what's in your closet, you can also do someone else a favor by donating your old stuff. I've been utilizing www.freecycle.org a lot in the past week (haha...I think this may become a long term relationship) or you can find your local women's shelter or whatever works for you.
I walked into my garage yesterday and took a look around (a little depressing I have to say..it needs A LOT of work) but ONE THING AT A TIME. So I spotted my old cat scratch tree which was taking up too much space in the house and wasn't really being used by the cats and decided to vacuum it off, take a picture of it and post it on Craig's List (which is where I bought it from originally for $60.00). It was sold in a matter of hours for $40.00. Booya! Simple, easy, effortless really...and now someone will actually USE it, and I had some bangin Thai food on half of that $40 last night:) It's all about letting go and being smart with your junk. Utilize the internet. Some of these donation spots will pick up, freecycle folks are just waiting for your free stuff. Believe me, I'm on every day and the stuff just goes like that! And remember, some folks will pay good money for your garbage.
S0, let's recap:
1. If you don't love it or haven't used or worn it for 6 months to a year (you have to keep seasons in mind) GET RID OF IT!!
*Disclaimer: Keep a storage container of sentimental items. Some items you may not use or wear but they hold a special memory for you...keep these things in a storage container out of view.
2. one project at a time
3. sometimes working on one area at a time for 20 mins at a time works really well. This depends on the kind of person you are. I have a hard time staying in one place for that long so I sortof sweep the space, attacking different areas for different short amounts of time. This is how I like to work, but most people do better with one area or project at a time for 20 mins.
4. One thing i LOVE to do is take a garbage bag and walk around my house and collect 20 things for give away, or 20 things for garbage.
5. If you have a partner and have a few hours on Sunday to get things together, ask him or her to help you with one thing. I like to do the "dish sweep". Ask him or her to gather up all the dishes, cups, glasses around the house and load them in the dishwasher or sink. That's one thing accomplished. It's not hard and you were able to get help doing it, saving YOU the time and grief. NOW you can attack the office, or bedroom, or closet, or whatever.
6. Don't forget to eat or drink fluids, get sleep, take tv breaks, play music and take care of yourself during your space clearing...it can be energizing and draining all at the same time, so staying hydrated and keeping your bloodsugar levels right will make it all better.

1 comment:

Julie K said...

hmmm I need to apply your steps for clearing my space.....